Social platforms such as YouTube are walking a fine line between being handy and consuming your entire life. Whether your screen time notification says you’ve spent a terrible amount of time on your phone today, or you just don’t feel the need to share every inch of your life on an app anymore— it may be time to lastly pull the plug on your internet lives and temporarily… or forever delete your account.
You have the choice to momentarily conceal your channel if you are still on the fence to delete your YouTube account for good. If you choose to use this option, your subscribers will not be able to view your content and all posts, remarks and answers from the community will be permanently deleted.
I’d like to conceal my account permanently
It is fairly painless to temporarily break up with YouTube and it is also simple to re-enable at any moment. Your channel name, videos, likes, subscriptions, and subscribers will be private when you conceal your YouTube account — but all of your remarks and responses will be permanently deleted.
Here’s all you need to understand about hiding your YouTube account momentarily:
- Using desktop, sign in to YouTube with the channel you want to hide.
- Head to your advanced account settings.
- At the bottom of this page, select Delete channel — but don’t panic! You’ll be taken to a page where you can delete or hide your channel.
- At this point, you may be prompted to enter your login details.
- Then, depending on what you wish to do, select I want to hide my channel or I want to hide my content.
- Select the boxes to confirm what will be hidden on your channel.
- Then finally, select Hide my channel and you’re done.
I want to re-enable my YouTube account
Regret what you’ve just done? No worries. If you want to make your content visible again, or if you want to upload, comment, or use playlists, you can simply re-enable the channel at any time. All you have to do is:
- Sign in to YouTube.
- Go to Create a channel and fill in the form to restore your YouTube channel — but make sure you don’t click To use a business or other name, click here as this will create a new channel instead of restoring your hidden channel.
- After you re-enable your public channel, you’ll then have the option to make your videos and playlists visible in the Video Manager.
I want to permanently delete my YouTube account
Be warned, permanently closing your YouTube account will delete your content, videos, comments, messages, playlists, and history for good. But if you’re feeling brave, here’s how to permanently delete your YouTube account forever.
- Using desktop, sign into your YouTube account.
- Then head to your advanced account settings.
- At the bottom of the page, select Delete the channel and re-enter your log-in details.
- Select I want to permanently delete my content.
- Select the boxes to confirm you want to delete your channel.
- Finally, select Delete my channel and you’re done.